History
Contact Us & Directions
Contact Us Form
Career Opportunities
menubar

History of Lookout Mountain Fairyland Club

The Fairyland Club was established in 1926. Built of local mountain stone, the clubhouse features an English Tudor Revival style with an exterior of stucco and steep timbering. In 1928, ten residential cottages were added to the Northwest end of the Club property creating a community known as Mother Goose Village.

What began as a dream for developers Garnet and Freida Carter, soon became one of the South's premiere Clubs with the help of local architect William Hatfield Sears and nationally recognized landscape architect Warren H. Manning of Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Club's natural landscape, featuring large and unusual rock formations reminiscent of fairy and elf grottos of mythical times, inspired them to name it "Fairyland." Among the more prominent of these formations are the tall rock sentinels, the "Twin Sisters," that guard the main entrance to the Club.

Because of the Club's historical significance, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources announced that on June 21, 1990, the Clubhouse and the ten cottages were elected to and listed on The National Register of Historic Places. Today, as in the late 1920's, the Fairyland Club remains an important dining, social, and recreational center for its members and their friends.

Fun Fact:

The Fairyland Club was the birth place of Miniature Golf.  Click here to see a short video on the history of Fairyland and Miniature Golf.